Sutton Veny Re-visited

For General Village Matters

Moderators: admin, Stephen

Clive Gray

Sutton Veny Re-visited

Post by Clive Gray » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:47 pm

Three weeks ago, I paid a nostalgic return visit to Sutton Veny which I had briefly driven through some 25 years ago. I had lived there, when my father (ex P.C. Leonard Gray) was posted there from Winterbourne Gunner, from 1948 - 1952 so the old Police House was a number one priority for a photograph. Apart from new housing, the village does not seem to have suffered much modernisation. I noticed that the old chapel in High Street had gone but the old bakery, where I earned my pocket money, was still standing. I seem to remember that the baker was a man called Oliver Lines who was also the church organist. I also earned additional pocket money down on Home Farm, the farmer being Ted Elliot. I noticed that the farm has now gone but I did engage in conversation with the lady of the new house there. I also stopped for photographs of my old school and was invited in for an inspection by the head-mistress. My memory cells served me right as I was able to remember the original main classroom and the small infants class-room. The head-mistress then was a Miss Ballance and I believe it was her brother who was the vicar in the adjacent church where I was a choir-boy! Since those days, my education was spent at Frome Grammar School, then Swindon and then technical college in Swansea from whence I entered the Merchant Navy. I am now retired and living in Banchory, Scotland. All in all, a most enjoyable visit although too short a time. My thanks to the head-mistress and her staff for the school tour and to say how pleasant it was to return to a Wiltshire village again.

Clive Gray