the vineys of sutton veny

Anything Concerning Tracing Names or Genealogy Here Please
peter_viney@sky.com

the vineys of sutton veny

Post by peter_viney@sky.com » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:42 pm

they viney family ,my great grandffather used to live oppiste the church (st johns)just wondering if any more vineys still live in sutton veny.if so please dont hesitate to contact me.

PRS

Re: the vineys of sutton veny

Post by PRS » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:15 pm

To the best of my knowledge there are no Vineys in Sutton Veny now (and I have lived in the village for 42 years).
There is one in the telephone directory in Warminster.
Where do you live?

peter_viney@sky.com

Post by peter_viney@sky.com » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:41 pm

thankyou for your reply ,i live in pontefract west yorkshire ,but my great grandfather and his family lived in the village and even ran the post office and general store .i visited sutton veny when i was about 13 (45 years ago)this was the 1st time and can rember visiting his house which was straight across the road from the church the left hand house of the semis.i have some old photos of the village which showed him and my great grand mother outside the shop when i find them i will post them onto the site.

PRS

Post by PRS » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:32 am

It will be interesting to see which shop it was that your family ran. When we came to SV in 1969 there were three shops, one of which included the post-office. Now there are none!
Opposite (well, almost opposite) the church there are several houses, some of which are relatively recent. I suspect your family's house was that now known as 2, Park View. Have you looked on Google Earth Street View?

peter_viney@sky.com

Post by peter_viney@sky.com » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:46 pm

i think you are right it was park view a pair of old semis with large gardens.also the shop i mentioned (after some research )was in upton lovell ran by my great great grand parents i have photos of around 1890 is upton lovell part of sutton veny

PRS

Post by PRS » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:07 am

No, Upton Lovell is a separate village - about 4 miles from SV as the crow flies (longer by road).