John Butcher pastor of the independent church

Anything Concerning Tracing Names or Genealogy Here Please
Scott Butcher

John Butcher pastor of the independent church

Post by Scott Butcher » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:49 pm

Hi All,
Some relatives and I have traced our family back to a John Butcher who was a black smith in Sutton Veny in the early 1800s, and was also the pastor of the independent chapel for 6 years until he died of Typhus in 1816. He is reported to have been buried in a vault under the pulpit. I understand from the village website that the independent chapel was demolished around 1970 and was wondering if any of Sutton Veny's residents would know if there were any remains recovered from the demolition and where they might have been relocated to? The chapel would have been on the High St roughly across from Walnut Close. Are any of the graves in the area still preserved?

We hope to visit the area in March of this year, and would be grateful of a reply. Thankyou.

Regards Scott Butcher
presently of Thunder Bay, Canada

PRS

Re: John Butcher pastor of the independent church

Post by PRS » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:26 am

Scott,
There is a small graveyard behind the old schoolroom (now a house) which was behind the chapel to which you refer.
Perhaps some inspection of the headstones there might help your researches. I will try and find out who maintains that area (I have an idea) and let you know if I find out anything useful.
Peter