The Shergold family

Anything Concerning Tracing Names or Genealogy Here Please
hollysmum

The Shergold family

Post by hollysmum » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:29 am

Hello! This is my first posting on this lovely website. My grandmother was Lelia Bessie Shergold, born 1888, whose parents were Flora (Yates) and Henry. I understand that they lived in Duck Lane. My grandmother and her siblings, Ethel, Isabel (Belle) and Cyril were all pupils at the village school, and I have found mention of at least one of them in old parish magazines, commenting on their excellent attendance. Lelia was apparently generally known as Lil. She married a man twenty years older than her, the wonderfully named Elford James E Haggett, who owned Court Barn Farm in Somerset (it's still there), and became a very wealthy woman when he died at a relatively young age, inheriting everything he owned. They had no children. She met my grandfather, Albert Foxwell Reynolds, whilst living in Colden Common near Winchester, and my family is now based near Southampton. I know that Lelia's sister Ethel married George Read, and they had a son, Fred. Belle married Edgar (Ted) Wiffen, and had a daughter, Marie. They lived at Freegrounds in Hedge End, near Southampton, and are buried in the graveyard there. Cyril married Mabel Bridges, and had a son, Hugh, who died about two years ago. The latter were based in the Essex area. I understand that Ethel and George remained in Wiltshire, in the Warminster area. Their son, Fred, married Olive, and she still lives there. Lelia and Albert had one son, my father, Albert John (John). She was in her forties by then, and Albert was 12 years younger (a bit of a Cougar, my granny!!).

Has anyone known any of my relatives, or known of them? I have grilled my father extensively about them, but it seems that he knows nothing of his cousin, Hugh (they never met), and rarely saw his Uncle Cyril. There was a bit of a scandal, it seems, at Cyril's workplace, and my father always describes him as having been a bit of a black sheep. Father was very fond of his auntie Ethel and uncle George, the latter having worked as a butler for many years. Father lived with Ted and Belle for a number of years, at Freegrounds, during the war years, but doesn't profess any great fondness for his uncle Ted. Belle was a different matter, apparently a very gentle and kind lady. Father is the only one of the four cousins left now, and he's 80, so I'm keen to find out as much as possible.