Pothecary/Potticary/Compton/Porter Families

Anything Concerning Tracing Names or Genealogy Here Please
Gaye

Pothecary/Potticary/Compton/Porter Families

Post by Gaye » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi,
I am researching the above branches of my family who all hailed originally from Sutton Veny (back to the 1750s).
I have come across several censuses where my families were living at 'Pilk' in Sutton Veny. I have been unable to find this lane/street on any new or old maps, and wondered if any locals could tell me whereabouts it was/is?
Thankyou!
Gaye

munron

Re: Pothecary/Potticary/Compton/Porter Families

Post by munron » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:10 pm

Hi Gaye,

I note your post is from a few years ago. I am interested in the Compton Families from the 1700's. I have a Richard Compton ancestor who was married to an Elizabeth Frognall. They lived around Bristol and Bath and he died in Bristol in in 1782. I cannot find any definitive proof of his wife's death but I do know he remarried in 1767 (Mary Gregory) and the last child by Elizabeth Frognall was in 1750. There is a record on IGI of an Elizabeth Compton wife of Richard being buried in Sutton Veny on 31st July 1851 and I am wondering if this is the same family. My Richard Compton appears to have been a fairly wealthy Merchant (possibly mariner with the East India Company as his sons were the same).

Any information you could provide on the Compton families of Sutton Veny would be very helpful.

Kind regards

Ronnie