Woolpack Inn / Bown

Anything Concerning Tracing Names or Genealogy Here Please
wbo07

Woolpack Inn / Bown

Post by wbo07 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:18 am

Hello Sutton Veny,

I am trying to track down relatives in your area - surname of Bown and answer few questions regarding my grandfather.

I believe my great grandfather ran the Woolpack Inn and also delivered mail in the area. My grandafther William Walter Welsh "Jock" Bowen left there in WW1 to fight for the Cameron Highlanders. He was captured by the Germans and after the war my grandfather received a letter writtin by the King to recognise the hardships etc he faced. He also fought in the North West frontier and then after he left the army he went to Australia. I have an old photo of him in country Victoria, but he then travelled to Far North Queensland - Port Douglas to cut sugar cane by hand - a tough man indeed ! One of the mysteries I can't answer, is why he enlisted for a Scottish regiument when there were regiments in the Sutton Veny area. Was there a relationship between Wiltshire & Cameron Highlanders ? He also changed his name from Bown to Bowen which is also a mystery.

Anyway, I would be interested if you can shed any light on above.

Best Regards from Down Under !

Mr.Wade Bowen
Cairns
Queensland
Australia

electro-med

Re: Woolpack Inn / Bown

Post by electro-med » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:53 pm

Hi WADE
My name is Michael Bown, i was Born in 1941, i spent my very early years at the Woolpack, when my Mother, Clara Butt was Married to Royden Alan Jack Bown, even though my Grandfather, William Welsh Bown was Landlord of the Woolpack, i dont remember him much for i was so young, i do rember his Daughters, May and Lilian, who i got to know when i was older, they of course were my Aunties. In 1941 we all lived at the Woolpack, my Father Roy told me Stories when i was old enough, of how all his Brothers went to live in Australia, and how they changed thier Name from Bown to Bowen because Quote they Fitted In better with the name Bowen, thats all i know. I got to know Grandad BILL when i was about five or six when my Father and i Visited him when he was very ILL in Poole Hospital, he had been Living in Poole then with his Daughter May at the time. I think we are Related, it is nice to hear from you.

wbo07

Post by wbo07 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:18 pm

Hi Micahel,

Yes, we are definately related.
My dad - William Royen Bowen (your cousin) was born ion 1941 also. His brother Alan Jack passed away in 1974. Dad has still got 4 sisters.

We have an old black and white pohoto of your Granfather, so if you let me know your
Email address I will scan the photo and send you a copy. Also have a photo of his mother - Fanny.

I spoke to my Dad this morning and he said that William "Bill" fought in the Wilts regiment in WW1 and after that he joined the Cameron Highlanders with his brother - Fred who died in India
(thought to be only 16 years old - Dad thinks he was a drummer).

If I am on the correct track, your sisters name is Clare. I have a photo of the woolpack, which I took when I was over there in 1989. My brother Brett also went there a few years before and he met Clare (he thought she ran the Woolpack at the time ?).

Do you know if Williams sisters/brothers were : May, Roy, Lil, Fred, Stanley and Sis (last two died early). Are ther any others?.

Great to hear from you and I look forward to keeping in contact.

Best Regards

Wade Bowen

electro-med

Post by electro-med » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:40 pm

Hi Wade
Yes i do have a Sister Clare, and she did keep the Woolpack when your Family visited, its very easy for us to have confused knowledge, being several Generations apart, i would very much like us to have a more personal chat at a later date, my E Mail is 01985840677@talktalk.net the first of which is my Phone Number, be in touch later. Kind Regards Michael Bown

seraulu1

Post by seraulu1 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:34 am

electro-med wrote:Hi Wade
Yes i do have a Sister Clare, and she did keep the Woolpack when your Family visited, its very easy for us to have confused knowledge, being several Generations apart, i would very much like us to have a more personal chat at a later date, my E Mail is 01985840677@talktalk.net the first of which is my Phone Number, be in touch later. Kind Regards Michael Bown

OWh thanks for these!!!!! learn hypnosis