Jane Major (Hinton)

Anything Concerning Tracing Names or Genealogy Here Please
Sarah

Jane Major (Hinton)

Post by Sarah » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:17 pm

Hello, I am a descendant of Jane Major (previous marriage = Hinton) who I have discovered was quite a well known member of Sutton Veny in 1800's. My Mum can remember her father taking her to Sutton Veny during the war when she was a little girl and she can remember seeing Jane's grave. Does anyone know if the grave is still in the church yard? I am also wondering if the Bell Inn still exists?
Many Thanks

PRS

Post by PRS » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:39 am

The Bell Inn has been a private residence for many years now (we have been in the village since 1969). There may be someone who can tell you when it ceased to be a hostelry. Similarly there may be a list somewhere of the graves in the churchyard(s).
Where do you live - if not too far away why not visit the village? We get quite a number of Australians coming to see the Anzac graves.

suedym

Re: Jane Major (Hinton)

Post by suedym » Mon May 24, 2010 8:21 am

Hi

I am also descended from Hintons of Sutton Veny. I have John Hinton b1805 whose wife was Elizabeth (Long) in my tree. I think John's parents were William and Hester (Norris) but am not sure.

I noted that you have Jane Major (Hinton) in your tree. You say that she was married to a Hinton before - do you know the name of her first husband and what Jane's name was originally. I would be interested to know also when and where she married Francis Major.

Hope you can help.

Jan Jones

Re: Jane Major (Hinton)

Post by Jan Jones » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:42 am

Greetings from New Zealand. I, too am descended from the Hintons of Sutton Veny. My great grandmother(Amy Hinto) emigrated to NZ with her familly in 1855 aged 10 months. Her parents were William and Sarah (nee Osmond) were also accompanied by their 3 other children - Richard, Ellen and Fanny. I know that William's parents were Richard and Sarah. I have been unable to research Richard's family as there seem to have been a number of Richard Hintons born around the 1790 era.