Where is/was 'Pilk'?

For General Comments on Anything !

Moderator: admin

Gaye

Where is/was 'Pilk'?

Post by Gaye » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:37 pm

Hi,
I am researching four of my family who all hailed originally from Sutton Veny (back to the 1750s).
I have come across several censuses where my families were living at 'Pilk' in Sutton Veny. I have been unable to find this lane/street on any new or old maps, and wondered if any locals could tell me whereabouts it was/is?
Thankyou!
Gaye

PRS

Re: Where is/was 'Pilk'?

Post by PRS » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:07 pm

Could this be "The Poulk" - down by Springhead?
Peter

Gaye

Post by Gaye » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:51 am

Hi,
I dont know the area very well unfortunately. In the censuses Numbers 1 to 5 Pilk were listed, then 1 & 2 Akeham Bottom, and then into Duck Street, so I guess they must all have been in the same area?
Regards
Gaye

PRS

Post by PRS » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:09 pm

The Poulk is a single (not very old) house. There are East and West Poulk Cottages at Sutton Parva (east of the village, nearer Tytherington).
Akeham Bottom no longer exists, but that area could well have been where Springhead was built as council houses and bungalows. It is possible that Akeham could be the old spelling of Haycombe - there is Haycombe Farm up on the hill above the village. The road to it passes not that far from Springhead, so there could well be a connectiion.
Peter