An Australian soldiers account of stay at Sutton Veny June 1

Any information relating to Australia and the Anzacs

Moderator: admin

JohnNHughes

Post by JohnNHughes » Mon Nov 26, 2001 11:20 pm

Local historians may be interested in letters to his mother by an Australian soldier - No 2821 Pte T.C.Whiteside - resting from being twice wounded. Account includes burning down the cinema, walks through the countryside and debates at the 'Mansion' all contained in a new book by his daughter Elizabeth Whiteside (self published) - 'A Valley in France'. Can supply extracts to any interested local historian. Elizabeth does not have a PC but any interested person can communicate through me - a near neighbour living in the City of Casey, near Melbourne, Victoria. John N Hughers.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri Nov 30, 2001 9:53 am

I have emailed John and he is very kindly sending me the information which I shall pass onto Nicky Barnard for the main collection of memorabilia.

barnard

Book Extracts

Post by barnard » Thu May 09, 2002 2:04 pm

I have since purchased a copy of 'A Valley in France' written by Elizabeth Whiteside.

I have the ISBN number for the book, although fear it is only avaliable by post from Melbourne.

Pte Whiteside came to Sutton Veny twice during his service in the A.I.F.

He mentions several houses in the village which are now private homes,but, back then had been requisitioned by the Australian Army.

If anyone would like to read the extracts that Elizabeth Whiteside sent, then please call into the school,where they are filed in our Anzac collection.

Nicky Barnard