Remembrance Day EMails From Australia

Any information relating to Australia and the Anzacs

Moderator: admin

admin

Post by admin » Sun Nov 11, 2001 7:46 am

The Sutton Veny web site received the following email (I have asked for the address to access Patrick's record):

Hello from Sydney NSW,

This morning, Sunday 11 November (Sydney time) a woman from Sutton Veny telephoned ABC radio to tell of your village's coming Remembrance Day Ceremony and its relevance to Australia. The woman spoke of Sutton Veny and the WWI Australian soldiers buried in your village. A distant relative, Patrick Degidan, is one of those Australian soldiers. Patrick died of tuberculosis at Sutton Veny on 13 January 1918 and is buried in St John's Churchyard.

Recently I arranged with Australian Archives in Canberra to have Patrick's WWI army record digitised and made available for on-line viewing. That document has now been digititized and be read on-line. If you are interested I can give you details of how to access Patrick Degidan's record which gives specific details of his treatment at Sutton Veny.

Please pass on my thanks to the woman who phoned ABC Radio and told an Australia wide audience of Sutton Veny and its Australian connection.

Leslie Gleeson
9/137 Russell Avenue
Sans Souci NSW 2219
Tel: (02) 9529 5211 Email: lgleeson@bigpond.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: admin on 2001-11-11 07:54 ]</font>

admin

Post by admin » Sun Nov 11, 2001 7:54 am

And another email:

Dear Sir/Madam

I was delighted to hear one of your local residents on Radio National Australia (our equivalent to BBC) who called in to advise the radio host (Macker) of the annual ceremony in the Village to honor the Australian War dead buried in your beautiful Parish.

I live in Melbourne, however am Bristolian and lived in Marshfield Wilts until 1988 before emigrating to Oz.

I am also the Vice President of The Victoria Welsh Male Choir - one of the Worlds leading Male Choirs based in Melbourne. I would like to pass a message to Nicki that we visited Sutton Veny in 1999 after competing in the 1999 National Eirsteddfod in Anglesea (the first overseas ever to be invited to compete!) and sang a song at the Cemetary - it was a very moving ceremony.

We are also the official Choir who performs at the annual Anzac Parade in Melbourne - always very moving.

Please pass our great appreciation for Nicki's call - many thousands of people in Australia now know about Sutton Veny!! However, be prepared for an Australian invasion next summer!!!

Best Regards
Malcolm Hamilton
Vice President
Victoria Welsh Male Voice Choir
+61 3 9431 1092
Mobile + 0425 757 269

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Nov 12, 2001 6:30 pm

Dear Sutton Veny!

I too had the pleasure of hearing Nikki from your village who rang ABC Radio here on 11/11/01 - (Melbourne time)

Thank you for your ongoing care of our Australian War dead - and of course, all the others.................

Whilst I do not have a relation there, I am researching my great uncle who was wounded at Gallipoli in 1915, convalesced in England (mostly Bournemouth I believe) was returned to his unit (3rd Battallion), sent to France and killed on 23rd July, 1916 at the First battle of Pozieres. He was 21.

I am however visiting Bristol next month (believe it or not!!!), and would like to visit your Australian War graves - if I have time. Is there any way of getting from Bristool to Sutton Veny by public transport?

Again, my thanks.

David Meale
Melbourne
Australia
dwmeale@gpo.com